There are many initiatives of business entity showing social responsibility. Some initiatives create benefits for poor people, increasing their livelihood, health and other quality of life. Many social initiatives didn’t really relate to business core, but it showed a kind of charity-like.
Danone initiative to create Livelihoods Fund for rural poverty is a recent sample of “improved corporate charity activities”. I added “improved” term because the initiative involves the hot issue of global warming.
Livelihoods Fund to give investors “access to carbon credits with ‘strong social impact’. I appreciate to the initiative and hope it will work effectively and sustainable. Let see some interesting facts of the initiative as well as what other comments to the initiative:
- To achieve “high social and environmental value” Danone not work alone. The giant food company has teamed up with Crédit Agricole, Schneider Electric and CDC Climat and relevant expertise and experienced organization, IUCN and Ramsar
- The initiative developed a standard for wetland carbon as well as newmangrove carbon methodology approved by the Executive Board of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM).
- The pilot investments in mangrove carbon projects conducted in Senegal and India
- Pilot project in Senegal involved 450 villages that replanting 7,000 hectares of mangroves, rebuilding a food ecosystem that produces fish and protects crops.
- The project will capture 900,000 tons of carbon over 20 years. With assets totaling €30-50 million
- Livelihoods initiative will invest in three main programs: restoration and preservation of natural ecosystems, agroforestry and soil restoration, and rural energy projects that prevent deforestation.
.. there will be a real opportunity to see whether a private sector partnership can at once mitigate climate change, conserve biodiversity and reduce poverty. Surely, this is one to watch.—forbes blog
Livelihoods is a unique new investment fund that gives fund partners access to carbon credits with “strong social impact.”It does this by seeking the best balance between value generated for local communities and the value of carbon credits returned to investors.-Financial
Related rural poverty articles
- Relation poverty with deforestation
- Relation poverty with global reform if trade policy
- The highest rural poverty area
- How to decrease energy consumption in rural poverty
- Woman, agriculture production and rural poverty
Some articles about carbon climate change